I need help with human resources – what are my options?
The role of human resources covers a variety of areas such as:
- Training and Development
- Benefits and Compensation
- Employee Relations
- Health Safety and Security
- Legal Compliance
The type of human resources help you may need depends greatly on which of these areas where you most need the assistance. The typical rule of thumb is having one HR person to every 100 employees, however; if you have a very pro-active culture and environment, you may see a more pressing need for full-time HR help.
Below are a few options you can consider:
- Hiring an HR Generalist
- Typically, an HR Generalist is going to have the skills and education to provide any aspect of HR for your business. A typical salary for an HR Generalist with about 5 – 7 years of experience will range from $45,000 – $80,000. Keep in mind, as a generalist, the individual may have some strengths and weaknesses in the field of HR, some of which are not as developed or favorable for your specific situation. Choose your HR generalist to have strengths based on your specific needs.
- Professional Employers Organization (PEO)
- As defined by Wikipedia, a PEO is a firm that provides outsourced employee management tasks such as benefits, payroll, and workers compensation. Some PEOs will provide additional HR functions while others are limited to these key areas. You’ll definitely need to investigate to make sure you are getting the right skills needed for your organization. When using a PEO, they become the employer of record for tax and insurance purposes by hiring your employees.
- Outsourced HR
- By outsourcing your HR function, to someone like strategic HR inc., you get a great deal of flexibility. Using this model you get the HR assistance you need, whether it is everything related to HR or only small pieces or projects. You have the option of having assistance provided on-site or off-site, which is great if you don’t have the space for additional employees. For small organizations, or organizations in a growth mode, this can be the perfect solution to ensure you are attracting and retaining the best employees. An outsourced HR provider can help establish your HR function by creating an employee handbook, job descriptions, performance reviews and more. Plus outsourced HR can provide recruiting, employee relations coaching, training, and other HR related project needs.
Are daily HR issues interfering with your ability to focus on the strategic matters of your company? Do you know you need help but don’t know what type of help is best for your situation or your budget? Strategic HR, inc. knows how integral human resources is to the health and growth of your organization and can assist you with all of your HR needs. To learn more contact us at 513-697-9855 or visit our website for details on all of our services.