strategic HR inc. Wheel of HR Services highlighting the Recruitment wedge.

Hiring Individuals Granted Asylum


Can I legally hire someone who has been granted political asylum?


Yes…as long as they have the proper paperwork. Individuals entering the United States seeking protection / asylum are able to remain in the U.S. and apply for asylum within one year of arrival. These individuals are not eligible to apply for permission to work (employment authorization) in the U.S. at the same time they apply for asylum. They are, however, able to apply for permission to work after 150 days of their asylum application if they are still awaiting a decision on their application.

Individuals granted asylum may work immediately. Some asylees choose to obtain Employment Authorization Documents (EADs) for convenience or identification purposes, but an EAD is not necessary to work for asylees. Follow this link to determine how to properly complete the I-9 form for an asylee and what identification is needed by the Department of Homeland Security.

VISAs, EADs, I-9s – An alphabet soup of acronyms and rules pertaining to the hiring of a foreign national. It can be confusing, even to the experienced HR professional, if you aren’t familiar with the process. That’s where strategic HR inc. can help. We know the legal DOs and DON’Ts of hiring – so let us assist you. Visit our Recruiting page to learn more about how we can help.