My company has been considering adding a Learning Management System (LMS). What do I need to consider to select the best LMS for my organization?
Selecting an LMS for your organization can be a big decision and requires a lot of research. There are many issues to consider to adding an LMS to your organization before you make that final decision. Here are some key steps to follow to evaluate what you need to do and who to include in the decision:
- Define the purpose of the LMS. Before you begin the process of reviewing LMS for your organization, know your objective. Given that there are so many LMS’ on the eLearning market today, finding the best one for your company doesn’t seem to be an easy task. In fact, selecting the best Learning Management System for your company’s training needs can take a great deal of time and money. There are so many things to keep in mind, such as whether or not the LMS has the features you’re looking for, or if it’s going to fit into your company’s training budget.
- Review what you are already using. Evaluate your current training programs and methods. What is working or what improvements are needed for the development of your employees. What is missing? For example, do you want the LMS to be part of the onboarding process? Knowing what you have and what you are missing before searching and reviewing options will be key to making your selection.
- Who are the stakeholders? These are key individuals who will need to be involved in the decision-making process. Knowing these individuals will make the selection process easier and quicker. Think about who may be impacted by the decision and implementation of the decision – IT, Finance, Training.
- Who is the audience? You must understand and know who the learners are and what their needs are. Take a poll of current employees and managers to know what their training needs are.
- Check compatibility with current technology. Make sure to include IT in the discussions regarding compatibility with your current technology. IT will need to be involved to help troubleshoot and implement the LMS into your organization.
- Ask for a demo. Always ask for demo and to try before you buy. You are making a huge investment, so have key players in your organization check it out before implementing into your entire organization.
- Make your decision. After narrowing your list, make your decision on which LMS will be the best fit for your organization’s training needs.
- Implementation. One final step to keep in mind in the decision making is the implementation required. What resources will you need to set up the new system and transfer your current data?
There are so many options out there, so be sure to ask others for referrals who they are using and then make sure to vet the solution so it will align with your company’s mission and values. According to the eLearning Industry, online eLearning is no longer a fad but becoming a key tool to upskill their employees as quickly and efficiently as possible – and the industry is growing all the time! Good luck in making your selection to better develop your employees!
Training and Development of your employees is a key factor in remaining competitive. Not only does it keep your up-to-speed technologically with your competitors, but it also gives you the edge when recruiting or retaining employees. strategic HR inc. has experience in developing training programs to keep you on the leading edge. Visit our Training and Development page to learn how we can assist you with your training and development.